OVERSTRAND MUNICIPALITY UPDATE – THURSDAY, 19 JULY 2018
We are well aware of the health risk in Zwelihle because no public toilets in the informal areas have been cleaned or refuse removed for more than a week. We face many challenges as trenches have been dug and prevent access to Zwelihle:
• Should the area be stabilised today and South African Police Services (SAPS) declare the area safe, we are ready to start rendering services to the area.
• Several resources, including emergency, social services, as well as the municipal operational teams, are supporting the SAPS.
• Should there be a need, the Municipal Disaster Management will, as previously, open “Hall of Safety” for people.
SAPS and CPF Update
The bail hearing of the accused was scheduled for 09:00 in Hermanus and the matter has been transferred to Strand Magistrate Court, to be heard tomorrow (July, 20). The accused will be remanded in Strand SAPS Cells. SAPS assured us that maximum deployment is in place and a full contingent of SAPS, Public Order Police (POP) and Law Enforcement remain on scene.
We once again request the public not to take the law into their own hands, but rather direct all concerns immediately to the SAPS (028 313 5300). Please be assured that we are well aware of the dire situation in Zwelihle and the many challenges the residents are facing regarding intimidation and mobility.
Municipal Service Advisories:
• The R43 is open, but all access roads to Zwelihle are closed. A full contingent of all the above services on the scene.
• The weekly Thursday schedule for refuse removal (Westcliff, Northcliff, houses in the CBD and Hermanus Industrial Area) will go ahead today.
• The Hermanus Library and Traffic Department will not be open on Saturday, 21 July 2018.
• The Hermanus Community Day Centre will remain closed. Patients are asked to visit the Hermanus Hospital to collect chronic medication or for medical treatment and emergencies.
• The Western Cape Government Provincial Disaster Management Centre (PDMC) on Thursday, June 19 deployed additional Fire & Rescue, Emergency Medical Services (EMS) and social services - to assist the Overstrand Local Municipality and the broader Overberg District Municipality.
• Regular information updates will continue to be issued by the local Community Policing Forum (CPF) - through its well-established communication channels.
Mayor Dudley Coetzee said this is a difficult and challenging time for the Overstrand –-not only for the residents of Zwelihle but all the other areas as well. "We are very thankful for the continued support and assistance by the community working voluntarily in public places and behind the scenes. We are also very aware that our public safety officers are at great risk protecting us. Please pray for all our residents.” Thank you.
- Issued by -
Overstrand Municipality in conjunction with the Joint Operation Centre (JOC) on 19 July at 10:45
(27) 0282713394 Address:
17 A 14th street, Kleinmond, South Africa 7195 Hours:
Monday - Wednesday: 8:00 am - 1:00 pm, 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm Thursday - Friday: 8:00 am - 1:00 pm