OVERSTRAND MUNICIPALITY UPDATE - MONDAY, 23 JULY 2018
The Municipality’s operational team and law enforcement members started to clean the roads on Friday but there is still such a lot of debris that needs to be removed.
“As soon as the area is declared safe, service delivery will start in all earnest,” confirmed Executive Mayor Dudley Coetzee.
SAPS and CPF Update
We have not received official feedback on the critically injured POP member who was airlifted to a hospital in Somerset West. He and his family remain in our thoughts.
Zwelihle was quiet overnight with no groupings reported. Please be assured that we are well aware of the dire situation in Zwelihle and the many challenges the residents are facing regarding intimidation and mobility.
SAPS encourages residents of Zwelihle to lay charges at the Hermanus Station in the event of any intimidation, as they cannot act without cases being opened and in order for the Police to better assist or support residents. Please encourage any worker/staff member to do this should it become known that that are being intimidated.
We are thankful to SAPS who are busy with visible policing in and around Zwelihle.
Municipal Service Advisories:
• The weekly Monday schedule for refuse removal (Vermont, Fisherhaven, Voëlklip) will be followed today.
• Infrastructure and equipment, including the conveyer belt and baler at the recycling plant (amongst others) have been burned, which have caused substantial damage to the waste transfer and recycling plants.
• No recycling can take place in Hermanus or Kleinmond any longer and clear, recycling bags will therefore, in the interim, no longer be provided. We will inform you as soon as a short-term solution has been found.
• Last night the two shipping containers that contained the e-waste and household hazardous waste were forced opened and set alight at the Hermanus Transfer Station in Swartdam Road.
• The Hermanus Community Day Centre will remain closed. Cleaning in and around the facility is currently underway to ensure the facility is ready to open once SAPS advises it is safe to do so. Health services will continue at Hermanus Provinical Hospital and surrounding clinics until further notice.
• The R43 remains open and it is safe to travel into Hermanus.
We cannot thank volunteers, business people and church groups in our community enough for what they have been doing to keep Hermanus going by offering assistance wherever it is needed.
“I would like to thank National, Provincial and local politicians and councillors; every division of the Police, the Provincial Emergency units, Overberg District Municipality (ODM) supporting units as well as Provincial Traffic and our own municipal workers and for their assistance,” Mayor Coetzee said.
- Issued by -
Overstrand Municipality in conjunction with the Joint Operation Centre (JOC) on 23 July at 14:30
(27) 0282714212 Address:
17 A 14th street, Kleinmond, South Africa 7195 Hours:
Monday - Wednesday: 8:00 am - 1:00 pm, 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm Thursday - Friday: 8:00 am - 1:00 pm